Assembly poll results a mandate against corrupt: Jaiswal
Kanpur: In an apparent dig at ally DMK
which lost the Tamil Nadu assembly elections, Congress leader
and Union Minister Sriprakash Jaiswal on Saturday said what the UPA
could not do due to compulsions of coalition politics, people
have done it by their mandate.
"Since we don`t have a majority in the Lok Sabha, we
are running a coalition government which has its own
limitations. Our government had been watching many things and
wanted to stop them, but since there are compulsions of a
coalition government our hands were tied.
"However, people know very well whom to stop and how.
And they have done it in one stroke in these assembly
elections," the Coal Minister told reporters here welcoming
the people`s verdict in the assembly elections held in five
Asked if he was hinting at DMK`s loss in Tamil Nadu,
Jaiswal said "I am not hinting at any one".
He said people of these five states have voted out the
ruling party there to put a brake on corruption.
According to Jaiswal, the results of the assembly
elections in the five states would have a bearing on next
year`s Uttar Pradesh assembly polls.
"Corruption is at its peak in Uttar Pradesh and the
Mayawati government will also be shown the door like the
people in West Bengal have done with the 34-year old CPI(M)
rule," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?