Assign greater space to Hindi in official work: PC
New Delhi: Home Minister P Chidambaram
today stressed on providing "greater space" to Hindi in
official work and implementing the principle of "cordial
co-existence" with other Indian languages.
"On the occasion of the Hindi Diwas, I call upon all of
you to assign greater space to Hindi in our official work, and
implement the principle of cordial co-existence among various
languages as has been envisaged in the Constitution and The
Official Languages Act," he said at a Hindi Day function here.
The Home Minister said the use of Hindi has played a
vital role in harmonising the diverse cultural and linguistic
elements and in emergence of a united India.
Chidambaram said there were some recent positive
developments for the cause of promotion and propagation of
Hindi and the government would like to carry these forward.
"We need to collectively deliberate on the various
measures for ensuring wider use of Hindi in different parts of
the country. Prime Minister (Manmohan Singh) has also given
the direction to formulate an all-encompassing strategy for
the promotion and use of Hindi as our Official Language...,"
The Home Minister said the quintessence of the
expectations contained in the various provisions governing
the official language policy is enshrined in Rule 12 of The
Official Languages Rules, 1976.
He said the said Rule entrusts the responsibility for
ensuring compliance of the provisions relating to the official
language policy to the administrative heads of the Central
"I urge all administrative heads to discharge their
responsibilities in this regard," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried