Assure Indian community of safety: Krishna to US
New Delhi: External Affairs Minister SM Krishna on Tuesday said he had spoken to US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and conveyed to her India`s concerns over the killing of six people in a gurdwara in Wisconsin. He also told her that the US needed to assure the Indian community that it will be safe.
Krishna spoke to Clinton late on Monday.
"I had a chance to talk to Secretary Clinton who is touring South Africa. I have conveyed our concerns about the attack and loss of very precious life in this heinous crime against place of religious worship," Krishna told reporters.
He said he had told her that an "assurance to the Indian community has to come out from the Obama administration that they are going to be quite safe".
"I have also suggested to Secretary Clinton that the places of worship in US cutting across religious denominations must be given full protection... I found she is more than willing to do it and she is as disturbed as anyone of us in India," he said.
Referring to investigations into the attack, he said: "I think the FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation) of US has already swung into the action. Once they (US) are in possession of the report they might convey to India."
"Our ambassador is in touch with White House with the State Department and I am sure that the kind of inquiry and investigation is going to take place in US is going to reveal the identity and background of the one who was responsible," he added.
A lone gunman opened fire at devotees at a gurdwara in Milwaukee, Wisonsin, killing six people and spreading terror in the area.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended