Astra successfully test fired for second day
Balasore (Orissa): For the second day in
a row, India conducted a successful ballistic flight test of
indigenously developed Astra - Beyond-Visual-Range Air-to-Air
Missile - from the Integrated Test Range at Chandipur on Saturday.
"The missile was test-fired around 10:32 hrs and the
trial was successful," Defence Research and Development
Organisation (DRDO) sources said.
The missile is envisaged to intercept and destroy
enemy aircraft at supersonic speeds in the head-on mode at a
range of 80 km and in tail-chase mode at 20 km.
"Before the sophisticated anti air-craft missile would
be integrated with fighter aircraft like Su-30 MKI, MiG-29 and
Light Combat Aircraft Tejas, it would undergo some rigorous
and flawless tests both from ground and fighter jets," said a
scientist associated with the project.
Astra, which uses solid propellant, can carry a
conventional warhead of 15 kg. It is the smallest of the
missiles developed by the DRDO in terms of size and weight.
It is 3.8-metre long and has a diameter of 178 mm with
an overall launch weight of 160 kg. The missile could be
launched from different altitudes it can cover 110 km when
launched from an altitude of 15 km, 44 km when fired from an
altitude of eight km and 21 km when the altitude is sea-level.
DRDO officials said it was more advanced than the
similar class of missiles of the US, Russia and France.
The missile’s captive flight tests from Su-30MKI were
carried out near Pune in November 2009 when seven sorties were
Astra’s first flight trial took place on May 9, 2003
from the ITR at Chandipur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened