At his last Cabinet meet, Maran was downcast
New Delhi: As he attended his last meeting
of the Union Cabinet on Thursday, Dayanidhi Maran was downcast but
gave no indication that he was going to quit soon after.
The DMK leader, who has been named by CBI in the 2G
scam, was silent throughout the hour-long meeting chaired by
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh at his residence here, according
to those present.
He came a little late to the meeting which started at
11 am, they said.
"He looked sad and depressed," a minister said about
Maran who attended the meeting as Textiles Minister.
He, however, left the meeting for a brief while when
the issue of allowing Phase-III of FM channels came up. He
said he was leaving because there was a conflict of interest.
Maran did not elaborate but was obviously conscious of
the fact that his brother Kalanidhi Maran owns a media empire
that includes FM channels in several languages.
He joined the meeting after discussion on this agenda
Replying to questions on Maran`s attendance of the
Cabinet meeting, Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika
Soni told reporters, "Dayanidhi attended the meeting like all
of us. There was no other talk from his side or about him.
After the Cabinet meeting, Maran went home where is
understood to have spoken to DMK chief M Karunanidhi who
advised him to put in his papers, sources said.
Soon after, Maran went back to the Prime Minister`s
residence, this time in his personal car, and submitted his
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know