At his last Cabinet meet, Maran was downcast
New Delhi: As he attended his last meeting
of the Union Cabinet on Thursday, Dayanidhi Maran was downcast but
gave no indication that he was going to quit soon after.
The DMK leader, who has been named by CBI in the 2G
scam, was silent throughout the hour-long meeting chaired by
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh at his residence here, according
to those present.
He came a little late to the meeting which started at
11 am, they said.
"He looked sad and depressed," a minister said about
Maran who attended the meeting as Textiles Minister.
He, however, left the meeting for a brief while when
the issue of allowing Phase-III of FM channels came up. He
said he was leaving because there was a conflict of interest.
Maran did not elaborate but was obviously conscious of
the fact that his brother Kalanidhi Maran owns a media empire
that includes FM channels in several languages.
He joined the meeting after discussion on this agenda
Replying to questions on Maran`s attendance of the
Cabinet meeting, Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika
Soni told reporters, "Dayanidhi attended the meeting like all
of us. There was no other talk from his side or about him.
After the Cabinet meeting, Maran went home where is
understood to have spoken to DMK chief M Karunanidhi who
advised him to put in his papers, sources said.
Soon after, Maran went back to the Prime Minister`s
residence, this time in his personal car, and submitted his
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered