At least 2 Indians found dead in Australia
Melbourne: At least two members of an Indian family were found dead on Friday after a fire tore through their Melbourne house, an incident suspected by police as a case of murder-suicide.
The bodies of the victims were found together in a back room of the home. Police are not yet able to give exact number of the deceased but said the house was home to four people.
Detectives said three people of Indian descent were known to be living in the house located in the suburb of Clayton South. At the time of fire it is believed that two boys aged five and 10 and their 37-year-old mother were there.
But police were yet to identify the bodies or determine exactly how many were dead, detective Geoff Maher said.
Police are also investigating whether the house fire was deliberately lit. Arson and explosives chemists and crime scene detectives were inspecting the scene.
Maher said police were considering the possibility of a murder-suicide.
"I`m not going to confirm that at this point in time," he said, adding "I`m keeping an open mind and so will the investigators."
He said police were trying to contact the woman`s husband, who is believed to in India.
Police spokesman Adam West said emergency service officers found human remains after the fire was extinguished at 1.30am.
"Detectives believe that four people usually reside in the home and they are yet to be accounted for," he said.
Firefighters were called to the house just before 1am (local time) yesterday and found it well alight, the MFB said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday