At least 72 percent turnout in Presidential poll
New Delhi: At least 72 percent of MPs and MLAs across the country on Thursday voted to elect a new President in a race in which UPA nominee Pranab Mukherjee is set to win with a huge margin over PA Sangma who is backed by some opposition parties.
As many as 4,120 MLAs and 776 MPs with a total vote value of 10.98 lakh votes were eligible to cast their ballot in the election.
As per information received from 22 states, 2937 MLAs and 40 MPs had cast their votes.
As per information received from 22 states excluding Delhi, the turnout in the election is 72 percent.
Information was yet to be received from Arunachal Pradesh, Goa, Haryana, Karnataka, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Odisha and Tripura, Rajya Sabha Secretary General and Returning Officer for the poll VK Agnihotri told reporters here.
In Parliament, where 699 MPs and eight MLAs were eligible to exercise their franchise, the turnout was 96.60 per cent with key leaders, including Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Congress chief Sonia Gandhi, BJP veteran LK Advani, Mukherjee and Rahul Gandhi voting before noon.
Of the 707 eligible to cast their vote in Parliament, 683 electors--675 MPs and 8 MLAs--cast their ballots when the polling ended at 5:00 pm.
The counting of votes will be taken up on Sunday at 11:00 am.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH