At what speed do Indian trains run?
New Delhi: An express train runs at an average speed of 50 km an hour and a good train at 25 km an hour. But this is only on broad gauge, Minister of State for Railways KJ Surya Prakash Reddy told the Rajya Sabha on Friday.
On meter gauge, the trains slow down, with express trains plying at 30 km an hour and goods trains at 14 km an hour.
Also on broad gauge, EMUs (electrical multiple units) run at 40 km an hour and ordinary passenger trains cover 36 km an hour.
The speed of trains, Bansal explained, was dependent on factors such as the trains themselves, signalling system, rolling stock and stoppages.
"It is a constant endeavour of Indian Railways to improve the average speed of trains," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...