Atal Bihari Vajpayee disliked Narendra Modi: Lalu Prasad Yadav
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Asserting that the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) will return to power in 2014, Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) president Lalu Prasad Yadav on Monday said that the BJP under Narendra Modi would not succeed.
In an interview to a daily, the RJD chief said Modi was not like former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, who was liberal.
"Now, the person Atalji disliked is being projected as the party`s face," he said in the interview.
Recalling that when he was a Rajya Sabha member in 2002, Vajpayee had given his nod "internally" to impose President`s Rule in Gujarat, but LK Advani had "protected" Modi.
"Now the pupil has betrayed the master," Lalu added.
He also said that when the BJP sits in opposition, it creates communal tensions. “The BJP, when in power in a State, does not do riots. But in Opposition, it incites tensions. Now they are working day-and-night to communalise the Hindu vote in their favour,” the newspaper quoted Lalu as saying.
The Rashtriya Janata Dal president further ruled out the prospects of a third front-led government, saying "our experience with this has been bitter".
He asserted that the UPA would return to power for a third term "based on a minimum common programme".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Union Minister Maneka Gandhi raps Kerala for its policy on stray dogs
- RSS distributed sweets on the day Mahatma Gandhi was assassinated: Congress
- Remember Parul Chauhan aka Ragini from 'Bidaai'? Her latest pictures will make your jaw drop!
- Usher announces new album 'Hard II Love'
- US to look for opportunities to advance India's NSG bid: Barack Obama