Atal Bihari Vajpayee disliked Narendra Modi: Lalu Prasad Yadav
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Asserting that the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) will return to power in 2014, Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) president Lalu Prasad Yadav on Monday said that the BJP under Narendra Modi would not succeed.
In an interview to a daily, the RJD chief said Modi was not like former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, who was liberal.
"Now, the person Atalji disliked is being projected as the party`s face," he said in the interview.
Recalling that when he was a Rajya Sabha member in 2002, Vajpayee had given his nod "internally" to impose President`s Rule in Gujarat, but LK Advani had "protected" Modi.
"Now the pupil has betrayed the master," Lalu added.
He also said that when the BJP sits in opposition, it creates communal tensions. “The BJP, when in power in a State, does not do riots. But in Opposition, it incites tensions. Now they are working day-and-night to communalise the Hindu vote in their favour,” the newspaper quoted Lalu as saying.
The Rashtriya Janata Dal president further ruled out the prospects of a third front-led government, saying "our experience with this has been bitter".
He asserted that the UPA would return to power for a third term "based on a minimum common programme".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez