Atalji not involved in Babri demolition: Kalyan Singh
New Delhi: In yet another veiled attempt to woo the Sangh Parivar, former BJP leader Kalyan Singh on Saturday described the demolition of Babri Masjid on December 6, 1992 by an angry mob of Kar Sevaks as the proudest moment of his life. He also slammed the Liberhan Commission, whose report was recently tabled in Parliament, for blaming Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
“December 6, 1992 is the happiest day of my life. It is the greatest day for the nation too. I have no regret, no repentance, no sorrow of (Babri Masjid demolition),” Singh said while talking to Zee News` Swati Chaturvedi during an interview in Kahiye Janab.
Upholding his actions during that fateful day, he said: “I have always upheld my constitutional obligations. Yes, I had told the police officers not to fire at the Kar Sevaks which would have killed thousand of person. I would not like to blame the police. They had done their duty. They have just obeyed my orders.”
Coming down heavily on Justice Liberhan commission for accusing Atal Bihair Vajpayee, the former Uttar Pradesh chief minister said, “The report that came after 17 years is a fake. It is wrong to blame Atalji. He was not involved in the entire episode at all. It is politically coloured”
The firebrand leader, who was accused by the Liberhan as the mastermind of Babri Masjid Demolition, reiterated that “Ram Janma Bhumi” topic is “alive and will be a burning issue till the temple is built at the spot.
When questioned about his association with Samajwadi Party, Singh said: “Yes I had done some mistake but I have done politics with sincerity.”
Refusing to divulge the reason for his disassociation with BJP, he said, “There were some secrets. I do not want to discuss about this.”
“Till now no BJP leader has talked to me neither I have approached any BJP leader. I am still an active member of RSS. I am proud on that. However, no RSS leader has also approached me,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- UPSC Results 2014: Meet top three toppers