Athawale demands Nandy take back his comments
Nagpur: Reacting to social scientist Ashis Nandy`s comments on backward classes being corrupt, Republican Party of India (RPI) chief Ramdas Athawale Saturday demanded that Nandy take back his comments.
Terming Nandy`s statements as an act of insanity, Athawale said that he had shown disrespect for the Dalits.
"If, being a writer, Ashis Nandy-ji is saying such things, then it is an act of insanity. It is not good to make such statements," Athawale said.
"He should take back his comment. Making such comments is disrespect to the Dalits, who work for the welfare of the people," he added.
Nandy stirred up a controversy at the Jaipur Literature Festival Saturday, saying most of the corrupt in the country were people from the other backward classes (OBC), the Scheduled Castes (SC) and the Scheduled Tribes (ST).
"It will be an undignified, even vulgar statement. But it is a fact that most of the corrupt come from the OBC, the Scheduled Castes and now increasingly the STs and as long as it is the case, the Indian republic will survive," Nandy had said at a session titled "Republic of Ideas".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Despite big money on table, Rahul Dravid rejected Anurag Thakur's offer to coach India - Here's why
- Jhakaas! Anil Kapoor's son Harshvardhan impresses Salman Khan—See how
- Gold at over two-year high as Britan votes to exit EU
- UN strongly condemns latest North Korean missile launches
- Delhi: BJP, Cong attack AAP govt for hiring PR firm