Atrocities against Dalits highest in UP
Bhopal: Stating that the atrocities on
Dalits were highest in Uttar Pradesh followed by Bihar and
Madhya Pradesh, National Commission for Scheduled Castes
(NCSC) Chairman Buta Singh today said that the Commission
would submit its final report to President by May 26.
"Uttar Pradesh tops the list of the states followed by
Bihar and Madhya Pradesh in atrocities against scheduled
caste", Singh told reporters here.
At times, Bihar surpasses UP, and some times MP goes
to the second place in connection with the atrocities on the
Dalits, he said adding that first three positions keep
changing among these three states.
"We will submit our final report after visiting different
states to the President Pratibha Patil by May 26," he said.
He said that Punjab, Harayana, Gujarat, Tamil Nadu are
not lagging behind in offences against Dalits.
Singh said that the worst part of atrocities being
committed on the oppressed class was that the complainants
were being pressurised to withdraw their cases by the police
on the directive of the state machinery.
They (Dalits) are in double trouble as they face the
brunt of the police in form of counter complaints after they
get their cases registered, he said.
Singh said that NCSC`s team is in Madhya Pradesh after
coming across reports of atrocities on the dalits.
"Before my tenure comes to an end shortly, I am going to
submit my report to the President, Singh said.
He said that NCSC had already submitted a report about a
He did not indicate what the report would contain but it
would deal with issues like atrocities on Dalits as also
various other issues facing the community, according to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!