Atrocities on SCs, STs increasing
New Delhi: Cases of atrocities on people
belonging to Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes are on the
rise even two decades after a stringent rule was framed to
protect the vulnerable sections, the Lok Sabha was informed
The police registered 32,407 such cases in 2006, 35,352 in
2007 and 38,943 in 2008, Minister of State for Social Justice
and Empowerment D Napoleon said in a written reply.
Of the total number of cases, 1,03,793 have been disposed
of while 32,394 are still pending in different police
stations, he said quoting National Crime Records Bureau data.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Sonia Gandhi answer RSS's claim of igniting riots in the country?
- DNA: Only 4% of Indian polpulation pays income tax
- Police arrest person accused of abducting woman in Bengaluru
- Scientists find three Earth-sized planets orbiting dwarf star
- Kerala: Dalit law student brutally raped, murdered in Ernakulam
- No plans to restart ceasefire with NSCN-K: Home ministry
- Trio of Earth-like planets found may posses perfect conditions for life, claim scientists
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar to go back to Goa after Union Cabinet reshuffle?
- Pakistan regrets US lack of appreciation for its anti-terror role
- Uttarakhand forest fires show signs of abating