Attack on Advani foiled in Chandigarh: Report
Chandigarh: A man has been detained here for allegedly planning an attack on LK Advani during the BJP leader`s Jan Chetna Yatra, police said Thursday.
"We have taken a person into custody. We are investigating the matter," Chandigarh senior superintendent of police Naunihal Singh said here Thursday.
Advani, who arrived here Wednesday evening during his yatra, has left for Panchkula in Haryana, 15 km from here. His yatra will enter Sirmaur district in neighbouring Himachal Pradesh later Thursday.
The man, who is believed to be from Saharanpur in Uttar Pradesh and was caught with an assembled weapon, was planning to attack Advani during his stay here or in Panchkula, a police source said.
Police have not yet disclosed the man`s identity.
Advani, who faced some protests from radical Sikh organisations and leaders in Punjab in the last three days, was shown black flags by a section of Sikh leaders in Chandigarh as he came out of Hotel Shivalikview in Sector 17 here after addressing media.
Police quickly took away the protestors and Advani`s cavalcade moved towards Panchkula town in Haryana.
The president of the All India Sikh Students Federation (AISSF), Karnail Singh Peermohammad, was taken into preventive custody along with some other leaders by Chandigarh police Wednesday as Advani`s yatra headed for the city.
The AISSF leaders were planning to disrupt his yatra by showing black flags.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram