`Attack on Army patrol carried out by Pak Army`s SSG group`
New Delhi: The attack on an Indian Army patrol in January, in which one soldier was beheaded, was carried out by Special Services Group of Pakistan Army, Defence Minister AK Antony told the Rajya Sabha on Wednesday.
In a written reply to a question in the House, he also said that intelligence reports have indicated that Chief of Lashkar-e-Toiba Hafiz Saeed had visited the Line of Control (LoC) in Jammu and Kashmir prior to the attack.
"On January 8, 2013 the Special Services Group of Pakistan Army executed an attack on an Indian Army patrol in which two Indian soldiers were killed. One soldier was beheaded in the attack," he said.
The Defence Minister further informed the House that inputs analysed by Military Intelligence indicate that, "terrorists affiliated to LeT and Jaish-e-Mohammad were involved in the attack".
"Intelligence reports also indicate that Pakistani terrorists and Chief of LeT Hafiz Saeed was reported to have visited the LoC areas prior to the attack," Antony said.
In reply to a separate question whether government has announced to consider to award the two soldiers on Republic Day, who were killed in the incident, Antony said, "As on date, no citation/ recommendations pertaining to the specific incident have been received."
Each year gallantry awards are announced on the eve of Republic Day and Independence Day to recognise the acts performed by the individual beyond call of their duty, he said.
"As per existing procedure, a case for award is initiated by the Unit and forwarded to Service HQs duly recommended by the Commanders in chain for consideration by their Honours and Awards Committee. If the case if found fit, the same is forwarded to the Defence Ministry for further consideration by the government," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets