New Delhi: The number of attacks on Indians in Australia has come down due to a slew of steps taken by the federal and provincial governments there to meet Indian concerns, External Affairs Minister S M Krishna told the Lok Sabha on Thursday.
Making a suo motu statement in the House on the `Attacks on Indians in Australia`, he said the issue involves a number of "complex factors" which are "interlinked" and need to be dealt with in a "concerted and coordinated manner".
He said the incidents of attacks came to notice since 2007 when some students were assaulted in Sydney and since May last year there was a "significant increase in the number and frequency of attacks" on Indians in Australia.
India has taken up the issue of assaults with Australian authorities even at the highest level, he said.
Krishna said the Australian government as well as the government of Victoria province, where most of the attacks occurred, have taken a number of steps for safety of Indians,
which include additional police deployment and strengthening of laws.
Underlining that the government was taking "very seriously" the issue and the Australian authorities have been fully apprised of it, he said "as a result, both at the state as well as the federal levels, they (Australia) have taken several measures" to improve security and surveillance.
"It can be honestly said that they are making efforts to meet our concerns," the External Affairs Minister said.
"As a result of these measures, the number of incidents recorded in these suburbs (of Australia) has decreased," he said.