Attempt on LK Advani`s life: Bilal Malik sent to judicial custody, Fakhruddin to police custody
Chennai: Bilal Malik, a key suspect in an attempt to kill BJP veteran LK Advani and in the murder of other Sangh Parivar leaders, was on Sunday remanded in judicial custody till October 18 by a court in Vellore.
His accomplice "Police" Fakhruddin was sent to six days` police custody till October 11.
Malik and another key suspect Panna Ismail were arrested by a joint team of police of Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu from Puttur (TN) yesterday.
Malik was questioned and produced before a magistrate in Vellore, who remanded him in judicial custody till October 18, a senior CB-CID officer told PTI.
The magistrate also remanded to police custody till October 11 their accomplice "Police" Fakhruddin, who was arrested on Friday.
"We have arrested Fakhruddin. Based on his confession, we requested the magistrate to allow us to take him for further interrogation. He has given us six days` police custody for Fakhruddin till October 11", CB-CID SP Anbu told reporters.
Ismail and Malik were apprehended at Puttur after armed police personnel of both states surrounded a house there, close to the border with Tamil Nadu, and forced them to come out by using tear gas.
An Inspector was injured when he entered the house in disguise and was pulled in by the suspected militants while Ismail suffered bullet injuries when police fired in self- defence.
Malik`s wife and three children (who were with the accused during the operation) safely came out later.
Ismail was admitted to Rajiv Gandhi Government Hospital where three-tier protection has been provided for him.
A gun and some explosives were also recovered from a house in the area.
With the arrest of the trio, three of four suspects have been arrested by Crime Branch of Tamil Nadu Police. The fourth suspect Abu Backer Siddique is still at large.
Apart from the 2011 Advani pipe bomb case, the arrested are believed to be involved in the recent murders of BJP and Sangh parivar unit leaders in Tamil Nadu.
Meanwhile, Bangalore police investigating the April 17 bomb blast, apparently targeting Karnataka BJP city office, have joined their counterparts here to question Fakhruddin, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?