Attempts are being made to divide the society: PM
Zee News Bureau
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said on Thursday that attempts were being made in some parts of the country to divide the society on basis of religion, caste and communities.
Speaking at the Indira Gandhi National Integration Award function in the national capital today, the PM said that when divisive forces were trying to break the country on all fronts, them the message of former PM of India, Indira Gandhi, became all the more important. The reference was apparently regarding the recent riots in Muzaffarnagar.
"There is a need to follow the path shown by Indira Gandhi as never before," the PM said.
The award was given to noted agriculture scientist M S Swaminathan.
He added that it would not be wrong to say that India could achieve the Green Revolution due to Indira Gandhi`s leadership and Swaminathan`s efforts.
Congress president, Sonia Gandhi, who was also present on the occasion, said in an apparent attack on the main Opposition, the Bhartiya Janata Party, that there was danger from some ideologies, organisations and people who wanted to divide the nation.
The UPA chairperson maintained that the Congress party had always given top priority to national unity.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM