Attorney General clarifies on Thomas issue
New Delhi: Attorney General G E Vahanvati,
who is defending Government`s decision appointing P J Thomas
as CVC in the Supreme Court, on Thursday came out with a
clarification after his submissions created a flutter.
"It was never stated by me that this matter pertaining to
Palmolein Oil case was not discussed by the members of the
committee(headed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh) and I wish
to make that absolutely clear," he told reporters.
Immediately after the end of proceedings before the
Supreme Court, the country`s top law officer made the
statement in view of the reports that he informed the court
that the criminal case was not taken up by the three-member
"The query of the court was limited as to what was
circulated along with the agenda paper. That is the only
question that court was asking me and as a matter of fact I
did say that what was discussed and what was not discussed is
not relevant to the query. It may have been discussed I do not
know. There are no details," he said.
Government appeared to have tied itself in knots in the
apex court on the appointment of Thomas when it said a
corruption case against him was not placed before the panel.
Explaining as to what happened in the proceedings, he
said the court put a poser to him him, "We are asking you a
very limited question as to what was circulated to the members
of the Committee. That is all I was concerned with. It
was certainly not my intention to say that something (criminal
case) was discussed or not. That was not available in the
Vahanvati, whose statement evoked sharp reaction from BJP
said, "I am very-very upset that these sort of statements have
been made that we are trying to mislead the court. The truth
of the matter is that this issue did not really arise and
there is no question of trying to mislead the court."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'