Audio CD row: Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah rubbishes Kumaraswamy`s defence
Bangalore: Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Sunday hit out at JD(S) leader HD Kumaraswamy, who is caught in a row over an audio CD allegedly discussing about money to be paid to his party MLAs by an aspirant for MLC seat, saying he could not defend himself claiming other parties were also indulging in corruption.
"I haven`t seen the conversation in the CD. I will not comment on it. Let people of the state take a decision on it," Siddaramaiah told reporters on the sidelines of a function here.
Kumaraswamy is at the centre of a controversy after yesterday`s release of an audio CD about him purportedly telling the supporters of MLC seat aspirant Vijugowda Patil, a JD(S) leader from Bijapur district, about the demand for money from his party MLAs.
Asked about Kumaraswamy`s allegations that all parties are involved in such scandals, Siddaramaiah said, "If a cat drinks the milk closing its eyes, it doesn`t mean that the entire world is not watching it drink the milk."
"Whoever has done.. Mistake is a mistake. Corruption is corruption. If he (Kumaraswamy) says other parties are also doing it, is not a defence at all," he said.
In the CD which surfaced mysteriously with all the Kannada TV channels playing the audio clip, Kumaraswamy was purportedly heard telling the supporters of Patil "Each MLA (of JDS) is asking for one crore. They are saying you make anybody the MLC..."
At another point, Kumaraswamy was heard saying "40 people (JDS MLAs) are asking for 40 crore... This is my fate."
Reacting to it, Kumaraswamy did not disown the authenticity of the conversation but said he had only discussed the direction in which the current politics was moving and it was not proper to portray him as a villain when he only discussed in general the harsh reality of politics.
Meanwhile, Union Minister Ananth Kumar demanded a thorough probe into the cash-for-seat controversy and said the guilty should be punished.
"Whoever is guilty, after a thorough probe, he should be punished," he said.
Kumar also wanted amendments for holding free and fair Legislative Council elections as it is done while conducting Rajya Sabha polls.
"I will also urge as a minister that there should be same type of amendments for legislative (council) elections also like they are in for Rajya Sabha elections because biggest disease or problem of these elections are horse-trading and we need to bring it to an end by bringing in systemic changes," he said.
Reacting to Kumaraswamy`s allegations that all parties were committing the same electoral crime, he said it was very unfortunate that the former Chief Minister is saying so.
He said during Atal Behari Vajpayee-led NDA rule at the Centre, the BJP tried to bring in reforms in both the Rajya Sabha and Legislative Council elections.
"We could make the Rajya Sabha elections transparent."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day