Austerity drive: Rahul travels by Shatabdi
New Delhi: Taking a lead from his mother and
UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi in practising austerity, Congress
leader Rahul Gandhi on Tuesday travelled to Ludhiana in the chair
car of Shatabdi Express.
A day after his mother flew to Mumbai in the economy
class, Rahul boarded the train this morning from the New Delhi
Railway Station to travel to the northern industrial city.
Rahul refused to accept flowers presented to him at
the station, saying it was the privilege of the executive
class passengers and also demanded that he be served water in
a plastic cup like other passengers.
Passengers travelling by the train were elated to know
that the young leader was travelling with them.
"It is good that Rahul Gandhi is travelling with
common people. He will get to see our problems first hand," a
male passenger said.
A woman travelling in the same coach said, "I am
feeling great after hearing that I will travel with Rahul
Railway officials said that Rahul will be served
`paranthas,` curd, `idli,` `vada` and fruits.
However, this menu was exclusively for him, the
officials said, adding that any specific requests by Rahul
will be gladly met.
Rahul is going to the city to inaugurate a four-day
camp of young Congressmen.
The AICC general secretary will return to the national
capital by the same train in the evening.
Congress chief Sonia Gandhi, who was behind the
decision to ask two ministers S M Krishna and Shashi Tharoor
to move to modest accommodation from their five-star dwelling
afer a media expose, yesterday flew to Mumbai in a commercial
flight in an ordinary class seat to participate in a party
function in the financial hub.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city