Austerity drive: Rahul travels by Shatabdi
New Delhi: Taking a lead from his mother and
UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi in practising austerity, Congress
leader Rahul Gandhi on Tuesday travelled to Ludhiana in the chair
car of Shatabdi Express.
A day after his mother flew to Mumbai in the economy
class, Rahul boarded the train this morning from the New Delhi
Railway Station to travel to the northern industrial city.
Rahul refused to accept flowers presented to him at
the station, saying it was the privilege of the executive
class passengers and also demanded that he be served water in
a plastic cup like other passengers.
Passengers travelling by the train were elated to know
that the young leader was travelling with them.
"It is good that Rahul Gandhi is travelling with
common people. He will get to see our problems first hand," a
male passenger said.
A woman travelling in the same coach said, "I am
feeling great after hearing that I will travel with Rahul
Railway officials said that Rahul will be served
`paranthas,` curd, `idli,` `vada` and fruits.
However, this menu was exclusively for him, the
officials said, adding that any specific requests by Rahul
will be gladly met.
Rahul is going to the city to inaugurate a four-day
camp of young Congressmen.
The AICC general secretary will return to the national
capital by the same train in the evening.
Congress chief Sonia Gandhi, who was behind the
decision to ask two ministers S M Krishna and Shashi Tharoor
to move to modest accommodation from their five-star dwelling
afer a media expose, yesterday flew to Mumbai in a commercial
flight in an ordinary class seat to participate in a party
function in the financial hub.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured