Austerity drives figure in cabinet meet
New Delhi: The issue of austerity measures
came up at the meeting of the union cabinet with ministers
seeking clarification on the economy drive launched by the
The issue came up for an impromptu discussion when the
cabinet gave its approval to hike the Dearness Allowance for
central government employees from 22 per cent to 27 per cent.
Cabinet sources said Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar
sought to know what sort of reception he should organise for
his foreign counterpart on an official visit here who had
hosted him time back.
Another minister pointed out that the External Affairs
Minister and the Commerce Minister travel abroad frequently on
official business suggesting that there should be laxity in
austerity guidelines for them.
In a lighter vein, another minister remarked that if the
airline upgrades an official travelling economy class as the
aircraft is empty, it should be considered as a commercial
It was clarified that official dinners could be organised
appropriately but conferences by government departments and
ministries should not be held in five-star hotels.
The ministers said they would abide by the guidelines
issued by the Finance Ministry.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Rs 100 crore mark still too far for Shah Rukh Khan's 'Fan'?
- Forest fires rage in Uttarakhand; three NDRF teams deployed
- Raids at Andhra Pradesh transport official's premises reveal assets worth Rs 800 crores
- VIDEO: Have you ever seen this side of Rohit Sharma's personality? We bet not!
- Unbelievable offer! Samsung selling smartphones for Rs 1