Australia court takes up Indian doctor assault case
Melbourne: A local court on Monday heard how
Indian origin doctor Mukesh Haikerwal`s was brutally bashed
with up a baseball bat by a group of youngsters.
Former Australian Medical Association head Haikerwal was
struck on the head four or five times with a bat by
20-year-old Alfer Azzopardi in a park at Williamstown in last
September, Victorian County Court heard.
Another attacker a 16-year-old boy also attacked the
doctor with the bat, AAP reported today.
After one of the blows the doctor`s skull was heard to
crack and he was also kicked, the court heard.
Azzopardi along with 20 year-old Michael Baltatzis and
Sean Gabriel have pleaded guilty to charges.
They were facing pre-sentence hearings today.
In the attack Haikerwal was induced 24 hours coma and
required emergency surgery.
He remained in hospital for two months and was
rehabilitated after his surgery.
Haikerwal was one of six victims targeted by the group on
The assault came towards the end of a two-month spree of
armed robberies by Azzopardi and Baltatzis.
One of their victims was told "If you scream or cry, I
will kill you," the hearing was told.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...