Australia court takes up Indian doctor assault case
Melbourne: A local court on Monday heard how
Indian origin doctor Mukesh Haikerwal`s was brutally bashed
with up a baseball bat by a group of youngsters.
Former Australian Medical Association head Haikerwal was
struck on the head four or five times with a bat by
20-year-old Alfer Azzopardi in a park at Williamstown in last
September, Victorian County Court heard.
Another attacker a 16-year-old boy also attacked the
doctor with the bat, AAP reported today.
After one of the blows the doctor`s skull was heard to
crack and he was also kicked, the court heard.
Azzopardi along with 20 year-old Michael Baltatzis and
Sean Gabriel have pleaded guilty to charges.
They were facing pre-sentence hearings today.
In the attack Haikerwal was induced 24 hours coma and
required emergency surgery.
He remained in hospital for two months and was
rehabilitated after his surgery.
Haikerwal was one of six victims targeted by the group on
The assault came towards the end of a two-month spree of
armed robberies by Azzopardi and Baltatzis.
One of their victims was told "If you scream or cry, I
will kill you," the hearing was told.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery