Australia court takes up Indian doctor assault case
Melbourne: A local court on Monday heard how
Indian origin doctor Mukesh Haikerwal`s was brutally bashed
with up a baseball bat by a group of youngsters.
Former Australian Medical Association head Haikerwal was
struck on the head four or five times with a bat by
20-year-old Alfer Azzopardi in a park at Williamstown in last
September, Victorian County Court heard.
Another attacker a 16-year-old boy also attacked the
doctor with the bat, AAP reported today.
After one of the blows the doctor`s skull was heard to
crack and he was also kicked, the court heard.
Azzopardi along with 20 year-old Michael Baltatzis and
Sean Gabriel have pleaded guilty to charges.
They were facing pre-sentence hearings today.
In the attack Haikerwal was induced 24 hours coma and
required emergency surgery.
He remained in hospital for two months and was
rehabilitated after his surgery.
Haikerwal was one of six victims targeted by the group on
The assault came towards the end of a two-month spree of
armed robberies by Azzopardi and Baltatzis.
One of their victims was told "If you scream or cry, I
will kill you," the hearing was told.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- Video of Hizbul Mujahideen militant threatening cops surfaces in Srinagar