Australia court takes up Indian doctor assault case
Melbourne: A local court on Monday heard how
Indian origin doctor Mukesh Haikerwal`s was brutally bashed
with up a baseball bat by a group of youngsters.
Former Australian Medical Association head Haikerwal was
struck on the head four or five times with a bat by
20-year-old Alfer Azzopardi in a park at Williamstown in last
September, Victorian County Court heard.
Another attacker a 16-year-old boy also attacked the
doctor with the bat, AAP reported today.
After one of the blows the doctor`s skull was heard to
crack and he was also kicked, the court heard.
Azzopardi along with 20 year-old Michael Baltatzis and
Sean Gabriel have pleaded guilty to charges.
They were facing pre-sentence hearings today.
In the attack Haikerwal was induced 24 hours coma and
required emergency surgery.
He remained in hospital for two months and was
rehabilitated after his surgery.
Haikerwal was one of six victims targeted by the group on
The assault came towards the end of a two-month spree of
armed robberies by Azzopardi and Baltatzis.
One of their victims was told "If you scream or cry, I
will kill you," the hearing was told.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy