Australia enquires about Saturday`s Bangalore blasts
New Delhi: Concerned over twin blasts near a
stadium in Bangalore before an IPL match, Australia, one of
the major participants in the Commonwealth Games, has enquired
about the explosions and the kind of security provided there.
Australian security officials called up their
counterparts here and wanted to know details related to
Saturday`s low-intensity explosions near the Chinnaswamy
cricket stadium that left 15 people, including five
Government sources said Indian officials assured the
Australian security top brass that there should be no reason
for concern and foolproof security will be provided to all
participating sports-persons in Commonwealth Games.
Australia is expected to send a large contingent to the
fortnight-long sporting extravaganza to be held in the
national capital between October 3 and 14.
The Home Ministry has given highest priority to the
security of the Commonwealth Games, sources said.
A three-tier security ring will be thrown in each of the
13 competition venues for the Games and special attention is
being given to prevent "Lahore-type" attacks on the athletes
who will be taken from the Games Village to the venues in
dedicated lanes with helicopters providing air surveillance.
Militants had attacked Sri Lankan cricketers in Lahore
during their tour of Pakistan on March 3, 2009.
To ensure fleet security, each of the 574 vehicles used
for ferrying athletes across the city will have to undergo a
mandatory anti-sabotage clearance every morning before
athletes board it.
Around 9,000 athletes from 71 countries besides 100,000
international spectators are expected to participate in the
Commonwealth Games here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow