Auto, taxi drivers to get health cover under RSBY
New Delhi: After extending health cover under
Rashtriya Swasthiya Bima Yogana (RSBY) scheme to domestic and
beedi workers and porters among others, the government has now
decided to bring auto and taxi drivers under its ambit.
A Cabinet note on the issue has been prepared and sources
in Labour and Employment Ministry said the move was initiated
in view of the swelling number of auto and taxi drivers in the
They said the ultimate aim of the ministry would be to
bring everyone in the unorganised sector under the flagship
RSBY programme, under which beneficiaries are entitled to
hospitalisation coverage up to Rs 30,000 for most of the
diseases that require hospitalisation.
About 4,500 private hospitals and 2,000 government
hospitals are empanelled under the scheme.
The sources indicated that the modalities of the scheme
including payment of premium would be marginally different in
case of auto and taxi drivers.
At present, beneficiaries need to pay only Rs 30 as
registration fee while central and state government pays the
premium to the insurer.
The state government would be identifying the auto and
taxi drivers and the help of the regional transport offices
would be sought.
RSBY scheme was originally envisaged to cover BPL
families, but was subsequently extended to MGNREGA workers,
construction workers and domestic workers among others.
A budgetary allocation of Rs 350 crore was made for the
RSBY in the current fiscal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city