Autonomous status to National Council for Vocational Training
New Delhi: The government Monday decided to
accord autonomous status to National Council for Vocational
Training (NCVT) and broaden its mandate and representation in
keeping with the aim of national policy on skill development.
The status would bring the advisory body, prescribing
standards and curricula for craftsmen training, to get its own
national and international support network with administrative
and secretarial set up having regional and state-level
The autonomous status would be supported by an Act of
Parliament, the 38th meeting of NCVT, chaired by Labour and
Employment Minister Mallikarjun Kharge, decided today.
The move comes against the backdrop of government`s plan
to groom 50 crore people in the next five years to meet the
increased requirement of skilled hands to propel the Indian
Kharge said the autonomy status would be in accordance
with the National Policy of Skill Development which envisaged
that NCVT should be strengthened and re-engineered with a
broader mandate and representation.
The status would also enable NCVT to effectively handle
legal issues. At present, neither NCVT nor its sub-committees
find any legal basis, the meeting observed.
The meeting also considered increasing the number of
years for passing All India Trade Test of Craftsmen from three
to five years.
Observing that candidates desirous of enhancing their
skills are deprived from taking admission in ITIs due to upper
age limit, the forum also considered removing of upper age
limit for all training courses under Craftsmen Training
Kharge said already 18.89 lakh people have been trained
under various vocational schemes last year as against the
target of 13.92 lakh.
He said as of April 1 this year, 8039 industrial training
institutes and industrial training centres have come up in the
country with a total seat capacity of 11.16 lakh against 6079
institutes which had come up in 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown