Autonomy of CBI more important than legality: BJP
New Delhi: The BJP Monday hit out at Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for his comments on the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), saying the autonomy of the agency was paramount and more important than questions of its legality.
"The prime minister should have spoken on how to make the CBI autonomous," BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman said.
"The Congress has misused the CBI to shield itself from corruption. Thus the image of the CBI has been spoiled. Faith in the CBI comes from its autonomy. That has been compromised," party spokesperson Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said.
The prime minister, at a conference of CBI and state anti-corruption bureaus, said the government would "promptly" look into the legality issue of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) raised by the Gauhati High Court.
A division bench of the Gauhati High Court last week questioned the validity of India`s premier investigating agency, saying that it was legally not a police force.
The Supreme Court Nov 9 stayed this order and fixed Dec 6 as the next date of hearing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it