Ayodhya: Cong hopes `Pitamah` Advani will not reopen old wounds
New Delhi: Describing LK Advani as the `Bhishm Pitamah` of the NDA, Congress has voiced hope that the leader, who today marked the anniversary of his controversial 1990 rath yatra to Ayodhya, or BJP will not do anything which impacts the country`s secularism or "reopens old wounds". "LK Advani is the BhishmPitamah (patriarch) of National Democratic Alliance (NDA).... With wisdom of hindsight, I do hope that neither Advani nor his party (BJP) does anything which impacts India`s pluralism and secularism or in any manner reopens any of the old wounds which have taken a long time to heal," party spokesman Manish Tewari told reporters on Saturday.
He said 20 years ago during these very months, Advani endeavoured to lead a yatra from Somnath to Ayodhya.
"The implications of that yatra, the communal conflagration it unleashed, the wounds it opened.... The nation has barely been able to surmount it," he said.
Earlier, Advani offered prayers at the Shiva temple in Somnath (Gujarat) from where he took out his rath yatra to Ayodhya 20 years ago. The veteran leader visits Somnath every year since he took out a yatra from here to Ayodhya on September 25, 1990.
Accompanied by Hindutva leader Uma Bharti, Advani said, "I am not able to understand the decision of the Supreme Court" which had imposed an interim stay on the pronouncement of the verdict in the Ayodhya title suits by the Allahabad High Court.
The Supreme Court had on Thursday deferred the verdict by a week and decided to hear the plea for postponement on September 28.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly