Ayodhya: Cong hopes `Pitamah` Advani will not reopen old wounds
New Delhi: Describing LK Advani as the `Bhishm Pitamah` of the NDA, Congress has voiced hope that the leader, who today marked the anniversary of his controversial 1990 rath yatra to Ayodhya, or BJP will not do anything which impacts the country`s secularism or "reopens old wounds". "LK Advani is the BhishmPitamah (patriarch) of National Democratic Alliance (NDA).... With wisdom of hindsight, I do hope that neither Advani nor his party (BJP) does anything which impacts India`s pluralism and secularism or in any manner reopens any of the old wounds which have taken a long time to heal," party spokesman Manish Tewari told reporters on Saturday.
He said 20 years ago during these very months, Advani endeavoured to lead a yatra from Somnath to Ayodhya.
"The implications of that yatra, the communal conflagration it unleashed, the wounds it opened.... The nation has barely been able to surmount it," he said.
Earlier, Advani offered prayers at the Shiva temple in Somnath (Gujarat) from where he took out his rath yatra to Ayodhya 20 years ago. The veteran leader visits Somnath every year since he took out a yatra from here to Ayodhya on September 25, 1990.
Accompanied by Hindutva leader Uma Bharti, Advani said, "I am not able to understand the decision of the Supreme Court" which had imposed an interim stay on the pronouncement of the verdict in the Ayodhya title suits by the Allahabad High Court.
The Supreme Court had on Thursday deferred the verdict by a week and decided to hear the plea for postponement on September 28.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani attempted suicide or big security lapse by jail authorities?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch