Ayodhya not a political platform for BJP: Jaswant
New Delhi: Days after BJP president Rajnath Singh endorsed the VHP on the Ayodhya issue saying his party is committed to the construction of the Ram temple, senior party leader Jaswant Singh has opined against the propensity to use the issue as the party’s electoral platform.
In an interview to an English news channel, Singh said, “The BJP has to reflect the future, it must think about the future…”
On Rajnath Singh’s declaration on Ayodhya, Singh said that what the BJP president said appears to be his personal endorsement; political endorsement will come only when it will come from the party.
“I don’t think BJP should adopt this (Ayodhya) at this moment. If it has sufficient numbers in Parliament, then it can do it…I don’t think the BJP ought to make it a political platform to win elections,” he said.
“Ayodhya is something that the two communities must sit together and resolve or the the court should resolve it. I don’t see any third way,” Singh stressed.
Rajnath Singh had on Wednesday made the declaration on Ayodhya, moments after former VHP chief Ashok Singhal bragged about the demolition of Babri masjid in the early 1990s during the campaign for construction of Ram temple.
"BJP is a party which believes in Hindu values. The party is committed to the construction of Ram temple at Ram Janamboomi in Ayodhya. It is a cherished desire of millions of Hindus and the BJP would certainly like to do its bit in fulfilling the same," Singh said.
He was participating in a meeting of the VHP`s central advisory committee here in presence of its top leaders like Singhal and Pravin Togadia and party colleagues Yogi Adityanath and Laxmikant Vajpayee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof