Ayodhya verdict best possible judgment: Congress
New Delhi: Congress leader Digvijay Singh has
said the verdict of the Allahabad High Court in the Ram
Janambhoomi-Babri masjid title suit was the best possible
judgement under the circumstances.
"In the present circumstances, there could not have been a
better judgement. It has recognised the rights of Hindus and
Muslims both," he said in an interview to Karan Thapar in
CNN-IBN programme Devil`s Advocate.
He said the best way to resolve the dispute was to come to
some kind of a "reconciliation" between the two parties and
for "God`s sake" leave politicians and political parties out
Singh, who is also the General Secretary in-charge of
Uttar Pradesh, said the party has held that the issue should
be resolved out of court but if it cannot be done, "we should
accept the court verdict."
Referring to the judgement, the Congress leader said,
"There has to be a judgement which is a win win situation for
At the same time, he maintained, the demolition of the
Babri Masjid cannot be condoned and it has to be taken to its
On whether the Muslims felt disappointed and despondent
after the verdict, Singh said, "I think there is no need for
despondency. The rights of Muslims have also been
Asked about Rahul Gandhi comparing the banned SIMI with
RSS and whether such a comparison was ill-timed and immature,
Singh shot back saying, "It is neither ill-timed nor immature.
These are two groups with ideology of fanaticism and fascism.
They have been spreading the ideology of hatred and can be
He said SIMI had activists involved in acts of terror and
similarly there are a number of RSS activists involved in acts
of terror. Singh cited acts of terror carried out by outfits
affiliated to the RSS and their names to buttress the point.
The Congress leader also rejected suggestions that Rahul
was provoking the RSS and the BJP in sensitive times saying,
"He is not provoking. The fact is that both are communal
Singh also rejected the theory that Gandhi was his `chela`
"He (Gandhi) has got a mind of his own. He reads a lot. I
think there is no question of being a chela or guru. He is my
leader," Singh added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing