Azad not leader of Indian Muslims: Azam Khan
Lucknow: Samajwadi Party leader Azam Khan,
who was recently booked under the charge of sedition for his
controversial remarks on Kashmir, Sunday stuck to his stand
that Ghulam Nabi Azad of Kashmir cannot be the leader of
Muslims of the country.
"I have said this in the past and will continue to say
that Ghulam Nabi Azad of Kashmir cannot be the leader of the
Muslims of the country," he said while addressing a function
organised at party headquarters here.
"There could be nothing more unfortunate like this for
the 110 crore people that a person like me is being called a
traitor," Khan added.
On January 18, a local court in Badaun had directed the
police to register an FIR against the SP leader on the charge
of sedition for his remarks on Kashmir. The order came on an
application filed by Bajrang Dal leader U Gupta.
"Only one Muslim minister (Azad) is there in the (Union)
Cabinet and that too not of India, but from Kashmir. That
Kashmir, which is still controversial and we don`t know
whether that is part of India or not...," Khan had reportedly
said at a public meeting in Badaun last month.
He said that it was being propagated almost every day
that Sonia Gandhi is a foreigner and cannot become the Prime
Minister of the country. "In this case there is no contempt of
court or violation of any law."
Khan alleged that the Congress pursued the appeasement
policy and cheated the Muslims.
"The Congress plays with the emotions of the Muslims.
It takes their votes but does not give them representation in
the government," he said.
It was due to the SP that a person was promoted as a
Cabinet minister at the Centre, he claimed, referring to
Salman Khurshid getting a Cabinet rank in the recent
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Fed leaves rates unchanged but says US economy improving
- French church attackers pledged allegiance to ISIS in video
- Stick to my statement that Salman Khan killed Chinkara, says 'missing' driver
- Eye on China? India to buy four P-8I aircraft from US for maritime surveillance over Indian Ocean Region
- Terrorist captured in J&K's Kupwara district is Pakistani national from Lahore: Report