Azad not leader of Indian Muslims: Azam Khan
Lucknow: Samajwadi Party leader Azam Khan,
who was recently booked under the charge of sedition for his
controversial remarks on Kashmir, Sunday stuck to his stand
that Ghulam Nabi Azad of Kashmir cannot be the leader of
Muslims of the country.
"I have said this in the past and will continue to say
that Ghulam Nabi Azad of Kashmir cannot be the leader of the
Muslims of the country," he said while addressing a function
organised at party headquarters here.
"There could be nothing more unfortunate like this for
the 110 crore people that a person like me is being called a
traitor," Khan added.
On January 18, a local court in Badaun had directed the
police to register an FIR against the SP leader on the charge
of sedition for his remarks on Kashmir. The order came on an
application filed by Bajrang Dal leader U Gupta.
"Only one Muslim minister (Azad) is there in the (Union)
Cabinet and that too not of India, but from Kashmir. That
Kashmir, which is still controversial and we don`t know
whether that is part of India or not...," Khan had reportedly
said at a public meeting in Badaun last month.
He said that it was being propagated almost every day
that Sonia Gandhi is a foreigner and cannot become the Prime
Minister of the country. "In this case there is no contempt of
court or violation of any law."
Khan alleged that the Congress pursued the appeasement
policy and cheated the Muslims.
"The Congress plays with the emotions of the Muslims.
It takes their votes but does not give them representation in
the government," he said.
It was due to the SP that a person was promoted as a
Cabinet minister at the Centre, he claimed, referring to
Salman Khurshid getting a Cabinet rank in the recent
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Post Uri attack, India strengthens border surveillance along LOC
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray