Azad to meet PM, present plan against encephalitis
New Delhi: Union Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad is expected to meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Saturday with a plan to tackle the growing epidemic of encephalitis in eastern Uttar Pradesh.
Azad, who on Thursday visited encephalitis-hit areas of UP, is also expected to form a panel on the issue.
With the encephalitis toll in eastern UP mounting to 474 this year, the Centre had yesterday said it is mulling short, middle and long-term plans to control the epidemic.
After visiting the Gorakhpur Medical College Hospital, Azad had termed the deaths as unfortunate and said, "It seems that vaccination drives are not carried out in a transparent manner from time to time or else the situation would have been better."
He said cooperation from all quarters was necessary to check spread of the epidemic and expressed concern over the shortage of para-medical staff.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MUST WATCH: Kargil martyr's daughter's message to India and Pakistan on Facebook - `Enough is enough`
- Hubble spots galaxy hidding in night sky – See pic!
- Do men really mean all what they say? Read on to decode men
- Dear ladies, Women's Online Shopping Festival is here to pamper you
- Twitter explodes with reactions over Kanhaiya Kumar touching Lalu's feet - Viral picture inside