Azad to meet PM, present plan against encephalitis
New Delhi: Union Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad is expected to meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Saturday with a plan to tackle the growing epidemic of encephalitis in eastern Uttar Pradesh.
Azad, who on Thursday visited encephalitis-hit areas of UP, is also expected to form a panel on the issue.
With the encephalitis toll in eastern UP mounting to 474 this year, the Centre had yesterday said it is mulling short, middle and long-term plans to control the epidemic.
After visiting the Gorakhpur Medical College Hospital, Azad had termed the deaths as unfortunate and said, "It seems that vaccination drives are not carried out in a transparent manner from time to time or else the situation would have been better."
He said cooperation from all quarters was necessary to check spread of the epidemic and expressed concern over the shortage of para-medical staff.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Nintendo's Mario eyes a Mickey Mouse merchandising makeover
- Hepatitis prevention: Protect your liver with these useful tips
- PROMO alert! Hrithik Roshan as Sarman in 'Mohenjo Daro' —Watch now
- Salim Khan recalls Rajesh Khanna’s stardom, responds to Naseeruddin Shah’s ‘bitter’ remarks about first superstar
- BlackBerry DTEK50: 5 reasons why is it touted to be world's most secured smartphone