Azad to meet PM, present plan against encephalitis
New Delhi: Union Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad is expected to meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Saturday with a plan to tackle the growing epidemic of encephalitis in eastern Uttar Pradesh.
Azad, who on Thursday visited encephalitis-hit areas of UP, is also expected to form a panel on the issue.
With the encephalitis toll in eastern UP mounting to 474 this year, the Centre had yesterday said it is mulling short, middle and long-term plans to control the epidemic.
After visiting the Gorakhpur Medical College Hospital, Azad had termed the deaths as unfortunate and said, "It seems that vaccination drives are not carried out in a transparent manner from time to time or else the situation would have been better."
He said cooperation from all quarters was necessary to check spread of the epidemic and expressed concern over the shortage of para-medical staff.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS