Azam Khan calls minorities to unite
Rampur: SP leader Azam Khan on Thursday made an appeal to minority communities to remain united in order "to face fascist forces` victimisation".
In an emotionally charged speech, Khan asked people gathered here, "What crime was committed by the members of minority communities for which we were victimised in Gujarat and Muzaffarnagar?"
"Strengthen your unity and generate feeling of oneness as our population consists of one fifth of the total population, and are capable to face fascist forces victimistaion", he said at the SP rally.
On his remarks on the Kargil war, which triggered a controversy, Khan defended himself saying he had never said that the war was won by Muslim soldiers alone and added that soldiers of all communities sacrificed their lives in the war.
Political parties yesterday slammed Khan for saying that it was "Muslim soldiers" who fought for India`s victory in the 1999 Kargil war against Pakistan, even as SP reacted cautiously and Khan defended his remarks.
EC officials had said they were studying the video of the controversial speech and vowed to take action, if Khan was found guilty.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, who was present at the meeting today, defended the firebrand leader, saying vested interests in politics were "making Khan`s statements an issue unnecessarily".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- IIFA 2016: Dramatic entry! When Shahid Kapoor, Farhan Akhtar hit the green carpet on Spanish donkeys - Pic inside
- Seven killed as car rams into minibus in Kenya's Kwale
- Hope law will be passed for construction of Ram temple by PM Narendra Modi-led government: VHP leader Pravin Togadia
- Rock stars and celebrities react with dismay to Brexit
- WATCH: How AAP MLA Dinesh Mohaniya was arrested by Delhi Police amidst high drama during press conference