Azam Khan calls minorities to unite
Rampur: SP leader Azam Khan on Thursday made an appeal to minority communities to remain united in order "to face fascist forces` victimisation".
In an emotionally charged speech, Khan asked people gathered here, "What crime was committed by the members of minority communities for which we were victimised in Gujarat and Muzaffarnagar?"
"Strengthen your unity and generate feeling of oneness as our population consists of one fifth of the total population, and are capable to face fascist forces victimistaion", he said at the SP rally.
On his remarks on the Kargil war, which triggered a controversy, Khan defended himself saying he had never said that the war was won by Muslim soldiers alone and added that soldiers of all communities sacrificed their lives in the war.
Political parties yesterday slammed Khan for saying that it was "Muslim soldiers" who fought for India`s victory in the 1999 Kargil war against Pakistan, even as SP reacted cautiously and Khan defended his remarks.
EC officials had said they were studying the video of the controversial speech and vowed to take action, if Khan was found guilty.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, who was present at the meeting today, defended the firebrand leader, saying vested interests in politics were "making Khan`s statements an issue unnecessarily".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble