Baalu explains why he is still on parliamentary committee
Chennai: A Parliamentary standing committee is constituted by the presiding officers of Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha and not by the prime minister, and the chairman of such a committee is chosen on the basis of seniority, DMK leader TR Baalu said on Thursday.
Baalu, beside being DMK parliamentary party leader, serves as chairman of the standing committee on railways.
He was reacting to Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa`s charge in the assembly Wednesday that there was a discrepancy in the DMK pulling out of the United Progressive Alliance at the centre, while Baalu headed the standing committee on railways.
Speaking in the assembly Wednesday, Jayalalithaa had said that while DMK president M Karunanidhi tried to project the withdrawal by his party of support to the Congress-led UPA as a "sacrifice", he remained silent as Baalu continued to be chairperson of the standing committee on railways.
Baalu claimed, in his defence, that even members of Jayalalithaa`s AIADMK could be on standing or consultative committees of parliament.
He explained that as a senior member of the Lok Sabha, he was appointed chairman of the standing committee on railways by the presiding officer.
He said his presence on the committee had nothing to do with the United Progressive Alliance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH