Baalu, Jaya spar over his continuing in Parl panel
Chennai: Joining issue with Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on her charge that he was continuing in a Parliamentary committee after his party snapped ties with UPA, senior DMK Leader T R Baalu Thursday said such appointments were made by presiding officers of both Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha.
"There is no link between my continuance in the Railway Standing Committee and UPA coalition. As a senior member of Parliament, the presiding officer has appointed me as Chairman of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Railways," Baalu said in a statement.
His remarks came a day after Jayalalithaa questioned DMK Chief M Karunanidhi as to why he was silent on Baalu continuing as Railway Committee Chairman and his son M K Alagiri meeting Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi.
Observing that Jayalalithaa had once served as a Rajya Sabha member and is now serving as Chief Minister for third time, Baalu said "I hope she will understand how Parliament and State assemblies procedures are followed".
"While the Ministers are appointed by the President, members of the Standing Committees and Consultative Committees are appointed by the presiding officers of Parliament", he said.
Seeking his resignation from the Committee would amount to not only "challenging" the presiding officers powers but also interfering in his Parliamentary rights, Baalu said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray