Baba Ramdev detained for six hours at Heathrow Airport
London: Yoga guru Baba Ramdev was on Friday detained and questioned at Heathrow Airport here for over six hours by British customs officials.
There was lack of clarity over the reason for his detention at the airport.
According to one of the organisers of the function Ramdev is here to attend, he was questioned on books he was carrying which were in Hindi and Sanskrit. The officials detained Ramdev for over six hours before he was allowed to go.
However, a source said, Ramdev was questioned by customs officials as he came here on a visitor visa instead of a business visa.
Some media reports also said that Ramdev was questioned about certain medicines he was carrying with him.
Ramdev`s spokesman S K Tejarawala described as "baseless" that he was questioned on carrying some medicines.
"It was not clear why the yoga guru was detained for over six hours at Heathrow. He was not carrying anything with him except a small bag of personal effects. It is for the British authorities to explain why he was detained," Tejarawala told a news agency.
He said Ramdev has been cleared to go into the city.
Ramdev went to London to attend the function organised by the Patanjali Yogpeeth on the 120th anniversary of Swami Vivekananda in the next couple of days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional