Baba Ramdev protests against hydro projects in Haridwar
Haridwar: Yoga Guru Baba Ramdev staged a sit-in protest at Haridwar with a demand to halt the hydropower projects across River Ganga and also to protect the river from further exploitation and pollution.
Several Hindu monks also accompanied Baba Ramdev in this crusade.
"The aim is that, seven days ago, a letter had been written to President that if government doesn`t take any action for the assurance of the purity and cleanliness of the River Ganga and also if the government doesn`t take any action to stop the ongoing and upcoming projects over the river we will stage a protest in Haridwar," said Baba Ramdev.
He further rued that the government has done nothing so far and said he is waiting for a favourable response from the authorities.
"When the government failed to fulfil their responsibilities in the given three to seven days time, we were compelled to take this step, so that the government may take steps for the transparency and cleanliness of the River Ganga," he said.
The Uttarakhand state has planned to build 300 large and small dams on the various tributaries of the River Ganga to generate hydel power. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?