Baba Ramdev protests against hydro projects in Haridwar
Haridwar: Yoga Guru Baba Ramdev staged a sit-in protest at Haridwar with a demand to halt the hydropower projects across River Ganga and also to protect the river from further exploitation and pollution.
Several Hindu monks also accompanied Baba Ramdev in this crusade.
"The aim is that, seven days ago, a letter had been written to President that if government doesn`t take any action for the assurance of the purity and cleanliness of the River Ganga and also if the government doesn`t take any action to stop the ongoing and upcoming projects over the river we will stage a protest in Haridwar," said Baba Ramdev.
He further rued that the government has done nothing so far and said he is waiting for a favourable response from the authorities.
"When the government failed to fulfil their responsibilities in the given three to seven days time, we were compelled to take this step, so that the government may take steps for the transparency and cleanliness of the River Ganga," he said.
The Uttarakhand state has planned to build 300 large and small dams on the various tributaries of the River Ganga to generate hydel power. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- In or out? Did Sidhu really quit BJP and join AAP!
- Rajnath Singh sends out stern message to Pakistan, says 'we don't need third party in Kashmir'
- Declare India a 'Hindu state', says Shiv Sena president Uddhav Thackeray
- AN-32 search still on, ISRO satellite imagery sought
- What is the purpose of human life—Know here!