Baba Ramdev trusts challenge IT notice
New Delhi: Yoga guru Ramdev`s trusts have challenged the action of the Income Tax department to slap a tax demand of Rs 58 crore on their income through sales of Ayurvedic medicines.
"Since inception we have been doing charity in terms of providing medical relief and other such activities to the needy. We have challenged the IT department`s notice at the Commissioner of IT (Appeals) office and we know that we will get justice," Ramdev`s spokesperson S K Tijarawala said in his reaction to the IT department`s action.
He said the department has said that the trusts have not been doing charitable work but "the world knows that we have been running hospitals and educational institutes for long."
"We will fight against this order and we have noting to hide," he said.
The IT department has slapped a notice of Rs 58 crore demand on the sale of the ayurvedic medicines by Ramdev owned trusts. The income has been assessed at Rs 120 crore for the assessment year 2009-10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls