Baba Ramdev trusts challenge IT notice
New Delhi: Yoga guru Ramdev`s trusts have challenged the action of the Income Tax department to slap a tax demand of Rs 58 crore on their income through sales of Ayurvedic medicines.
"Since inception we have been doing charity in terms of providing medical relief and other such activities to the needy. We have challenged the IT department`s notice at the Commissioner of IT (Appeals) office and we know that we will get justice," Ramdev`s spokesperson S K Tijarawala said in his reaction to the IT department`s action.
He said the department has said that the trusts have not been doing charitable work but "the world knows that we have been running hospitals and educational institutes for long."
"We will fight against this order and we have noting to hide," he said.
The IT department has slapped a notice of Rs 58 crore demand on the sale of the ayurvedic medicines by Ramdev owned trusts. The income has been assessed at Rs 120 crore for the assessment year 2009-10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley