Babri anniv passes off peacefully amid tight security
Ayodhya: The 17th anniversary of the Babri
Masjid demolition on Sunday passed off peacefully amid tight
security with various groups demanding that recommendations of
the Liberhan Commission report be implemented while others
raised questions over the findings.
Under directions from the Union Home Ministry, Uttar
Pradesh and other state governments beefed up security and
Ayodhya-Faizabad area was converted into a virtual fortress.
While the VHP observed the day as "Shourya Diwas (valour
day)", Samajwadi Party marked it as "Kala Diwas (black day)".
All India Babri Masjid Action Committee held special prayers
for peace and harmony.
In Ayodhya, Central forces along with 500 personnel of
PAC, 200 jawans of Rapid Action Force, bomb detection squads
and anti-sabotage teams were deployed. CCTV cameras were in
operation at the disputed site with the authorities banning
public gatherings and security forces keeping a close vigil on
the Saryu river here, officials said.
There was no untoward incident here, they said.
The authorities were extra careful this time as the
atmosphere has become surcharged with the Liberhan report
indicting senior BJP leaders including Atal Bihari Vajpayee, L
K Advani and Murli Manohar Joshi in connection with the
demolition. The report, tabled in Parliament, however,
exonerated then Prime Minister P V Narasimha Rao.
The report was in focus at various functions and
demonstrations held in Delhi, with All India Babri Masjid
Rebuilding Committee (AIBMRC) and the Popular Front of India,
a confederation of Muslim groups, demanding legal action
against those indicted by the commission and scrapping of the
recognition of BJP by the EC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!