Babri rpt: No one named in govt`s ATR
New Delhi: Even when the Liberhan Commission has indicted 68 BJP and Sangh Parivar leaders for Babri Masjid Demolition, the government has, surprisingly, no names in its action taken report (ATR) on the issue.
The ATR has not named any individual against whom fresh action needs to be taken – on the basis of the Liberhan report – for the demolition of the Babri Masjid demolition in Ayodhya in 1992. No fresh charges will be formed against ‘anybody’.
Importantly, the 13-page ATR has proposed a new law, ‘No political leader who holds a position of power in the government will not be allowed to simultaneously hold any position in religious bodies’.
With regards to the action to be taken against those who were behind the demolition, the government thinks it would not be prudent on its part to register fresh cases as there are multiple cases still running against the accused in courts.
The ATR says that the government will work towards expediting the ongoing trial in the lower courts in Uttar Pradesh.
The government is also contemplating a bill to check communal violence. The government feels the law would be useful to prevent the dangerous mix of politics and religion.
It also suggests giving statutory powers to the National Integration Council to tackle to communal violence.
The decision to table the report in the Parliament was taken by the Union Cabinet after it held an emergency meeting over the issue here early today.
In the absence of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh who is in the US, the meeting was chaired by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee and attended by his cabinet colleagues including Home Minister P Chidambaram and Defence Minister AK Antony.
BJP chief Rajnath Singh, speaking to reporters outside the Parliament, questioned the leakage of the report and asked the government to fix responsibility for the same.
He also asked the Home Minister to take moral responsibility for the same.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog