Baby Falak freed from pain, this world

Amid prayers for Falak`s soul to rest in peace, the overwhelming view of all those who prayed for her being that the death has only done good to the poor girl as she could not have led a normal life had she survived.

Zeenews Bureau

New Delhi: Falak, the two-year-old battered baby girl, who had to undergo five painful surgeries, faced two heart attacks and fought against all odds for nearly two-months, finally lost the battle for life and passed away after she suffered a cardiac arrest on Thursday night.

Intense efforts by the doctors of AIIMS Trauma Centre and millions of prayers could not save the two-year old minor whose harrowing ordeal had left the nation stunned.

Amid prayers for her soul to rest in peace, the overwhelming view of those who prayed for her, cared for her, being that the death has only done good to the poor girl as she could not have led a normal life due to the damage done to her brain had she survived.
She has also left millions rattled about the level of cruelty a person can subject a fellow human to. Falak was also a stark reminder of the growing lack of empathy in our society and its implications for the coming generations.

A post-mortem will be conducted on Baby Falak - since it is a medico-legal case - today.

The tragic case of baby Falak, who was admitted to the AIIMS on January 18 with severe head injuries, broken arms, bite marks all over her body and cheeks branded with hot iron, left the country in utter shock and forced all to think about the growing insensitivity in our society.

For Deepak Agrawal, Assistant Professor of Neurosurgery at the AIIMS Trauma Centre, who has been attending on her from the day one, the "unexpected" heart attack has come as a huge shock.
"It was unexpected. She was fit to be discharged. All of a sudden, she had a cardiac arrest at nine and we tried to revive her. But then she gave up at around 9:40pm," said an emotionally charged Deepak Agrawal.

During her treatment earlier, she contracted meningitis and underwent five surgeries and had also suffered two heart attacks. "She was doing well. We removed her from the ICU and shifted her to the ward after we found that she had recovered well. The whole day she used to spend time playing with the nurses at the hospital,” he added.

The child was brought to the hospital by a girl, who had falsely claimed to be her mother. Investigations revealed the shocking story of Falak, her two siblings and their mother who were all separated after falling victim to human traffickers.

Falak`s mother Munni was tricked into a second marriage by three women out of whom two -- Laxmi and Kanta Choudhry --were arrested. The trio had promised that her three children will be taken care of but they were left to different people.

Ten people were arrested in the case. Police traced Falak`s five-year-old brother from the house of a vendor in West Delhi`s Uttam Nagar locality while her sister Sanobar was traced by Delhi Police to Muzaffarpur in Bihar.

On Februray 15, Falak was reunited with her 22-year-old mother Munni who met her in the hospital.

During the course of her 58-day treatment, Falak had blood, chest and brain infection.

Moved by Falak`s plight, Indians as well people from the US and Canada had expressed their desire to adopt her.

….silent prayer

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link