`Back-up` measures proposed to enhance nuke safety
Mumbai: A high-level committee, appointed by
the Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB) in the aftermath of
the Fukushima incident, has expressed satisfaction over
prevailing measures for safeguarding nuclear reactors, even as
it proposed "back-up" steps to raise the safety level.
"We have submitted our report to the AERB this weekend
and most of the safety features with the Indian nuclear plants
are satisfactory but still we have suggested for back-up
safety features as a matter of abundant caution," Nuclear
Safety Review Committee (NSRC) chairman S K Sharma said.
"We have suggested back-up provisions to feed water for
reactor steam generator and coolants and for Tarapur Atomic
Power Plants units 1 and 2, which are boiling water reactors
almost similar to Fukushima reactors. We have suggested back
up water to the emergency condenser for ensuring uninterrupted
cooling of the reactor in case of a station blackout," Sharma
The NSRC has proposed setting up an emergency facility at
each of the nuclear reactor sites as one of the measures. The
facility would comprise of a separate building with provisions
for continuous communication, feeding, rest room for engineers
and others who are on emergency duty, he said.
Another suggestion of the Committee includes a provision
for setting up additional air-cooling generators and portable
generators to overcome station blackout in case of an accident
like that of Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plants in Japan,
which were hit severely by a major earthquake followed by an
unprecedented tsunami on March 11 this year.
On the assessment experience, Sharma said Indian nuclear
industry and AERB always carry out safety review following any
incident/accident reported in the world. Post Fukushima is one
such exercise and the Committee suggested few steps to the
Board, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Post Uri attack, India strengthens border surveillance along LOC
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray