Backwardness must not hinder in accessing justice: CJI
New Delhi: Social and economic backwardness must not be a hindrance for people in accessing justice, Chief Justice of India Altamas Kabir said on Friday, stressing upon the need to spread awareness about the free legal aid.
"We want to secure for ourselves social, political and economical justice along with equality, fraternity and liberty. This question of securing justice for the people means a great deal to us," said Chief Justice Kabir.
"Supreme Court legal Services Committee wants to make it clear to every citizen of the country that legal aid is available and can be accessed even at the level of the Supreme Court," he said adding the legal aid plays a crucial role in providing timely redressal of grievances of the poor.
He added there is a need to spread awareness about the legal aid programme.
"There is a need to make people aware of not only the legal remedy but also of the mechanism of the legal aid," he said adding that legal aid clinics have been set up even at district level to ensure that people have access to justice.
Justice Kabir was speaking at a function for observance of National Legal Services Day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker