Bad weather delays acceptance trials of N-sub for India
Moscow: Owing to rough weather, the acceptance trials of Akula-II class nuclear attack submarine, which is to be leased to India, have been delayed by a week.
According to earlier schedule, the Nerpa submarine, currently docked in Bolshoi Kamen (Big Rock) facility of the Amur Shipyard on the Pacific Coast, was to begin two weeks of acceptance trials today for its subsequent lease to India by next March.
"There is bad weather in Bolshoi Kamen. The submarine will come out of the dock after 5-6 days, but the delivery schedule set earlier will not be affected," Director General of Amur Shipyard Nikolai Povzyk was quoted as saying by Interfax.
He said currently `fine-tuning` of various systems of the Nerpa submarine is underway, which was hit by a mishap during trials in Sea of Japan last year when 20 sailors and technical staff were killed due to accidental release of toxic gas in the sleeping quarters.
Prime Minister Vladimir Putin had released around USD 65 million in August for the necessary technical changes and completion of the Nerpa trials by the end of this year.
According to earlier reports, after the completion of acceptance trials by the Russian navy the Indian naval crew would undergo training and sailing under Russian instructors before the Nerpa is commissioned as INS Chakra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM