Badal blames Centre for Sarabjit Singh`s death
Bhikhiwind: Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Saturday said that had the Congress-led UPA government at the Centre acted timely and diligently, then Sarabjit Singh could have been saved.
Addressing a gathering to pay homage to Sarabjit Singh, the Chief Minister said that the state assembly had passed resolutions four times and sent them to the Centre urging for prompt action to ensure Sarabjit Singh`s early release, but the Centre had not taken the matter seriously.
"However, the entire country in general and the Punjab government in particular were with the family of Sarabjit Singh in this hour of crisis," he said handing over a cheque of Rs 1 crore to Sarabjit`s family.
The Chief Minister said, Sarabjit Singh was a national martyr who had suffered endless agonies in the Pakistani jail for being an Indian.
He also announced that Sarabjit`s elder daughter Swapandeep Kaur would be recruited as Naib Tehsildar in the state government and the younger daughter Poonam would be given the post of a teacher.
"Cabinet clearance for both these posts would be given by the council of Ministers in the very next meeting," he said.
Appreciating the efforts made by Sarabjit`s family for his release, the Chief Minister said, due to their concerted efforts the entire country had prayed for the release of Sarabjit, who had spent more than 23 years in a Pakistan jail.
Showering praise on Sarabjit`s sister Dalbir Kaur for her pledge to secure the release of other prisoners lodged in Pakistani jails, Badal added that the state government would extend full support and cooperation to her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- Nico Rosberg surprised to see teammate Lewis Hamilton finishing 3rd in Belgian GP
- See pic: Cassini captures delicate glow on Saturn's ring!
- Mamata urges people to oppose strike, government warns absentees of action
- India, Myanmar agree to increase bilateral cooperation
- Didn't recommend beef consumption, my tweet was to inspire athletes: BJP MP Udit Raj