Badal describes BJP`s decision on Modi as `master stroke`
Chandigarh: Shiromani Akali Dal supremo Parkash Singh Badal on Sunday described as "master-stroke" the appointment of Narendra Modi as Chairman of BJP`s Election Campaign Committee for the 2014 polls, and said it was a knockout punch against a "staggering" UPA government.
"This (Modi as the chairman...) has already sent shock-waves in the UPA and completely demoralised it, as is borne out by nervous reactions of their leaders," the Punjab Chief Minister said.
The 85-year-old veteran Akali leader also spoke to the Gujarat Chief Minister over phone and congratulated him.
The five-time Punjab Chief Minister said that political climate in the country "clearly pointed towards a strong anti-Congress and anti-UPA wave."
Badal also spoke to BJP President Rajnath Singh over phone and congratulated him on the decision.
The Chief Minister described the development as "a master-stroke" and said Modi`s proven hold over the popular imagination combined with the sober and experienced leadership of Rajnath Singh would "prove a deadly combination, too hot for the Congress to handle".
"Modi`s proven appeal in the poor and middle classes and Rajnath Singh`s stature as a leader of masses, especially of the peasants, are factors that even their opponents cannot contest. We (NDA) are heading towards a landslide win in 2014 polls," Badal said in a statement here.
Badal conveyed his best wishes to Modi and exuded confidence that he would lead his party and allies to an resounding victory in the next Lok Sabha polls.
SAD leader and Deputy Chief Minister of Punjab Sukhbir Singh Badal also hailed the BJP`s decision, saying the move would be "catalytic" in the alliance`s victory march.
"The people of the country are looking towards National Democratic Alliance to save the country from the clutches of corrupt UPA government. As Modi has been made Chairman of Poll Campaign Committee of BJP, the biggest alliance partner of NDA, it (the decision) would be catalytic in NDA`s victory march in 2014 elections," Sukhbir said in a statement here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends