Badaun rapes cause uproar in Rajya Sabha
New Delhi: The Rajya Sabha was on Tuesday disrupted as BSP members protested over the law and order situation in Uttar Pradesh, raising the rape and murder of two girls in Badaun district.
The protest, led by Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) chief Mayawati in the upper house, saw members from her party rush near the chairman`s podium, demanding dismissal of the Samajwadi Party (SP) led state government.
As the house met for the day, Mayawati raised the issue of rape and murder of two girls in Badaun and alleged that law and order in Uttar Pradesh is deteriorating.
"There is a jungle raj in the state," Mayawati said, demanding President`s rule in Uttar Pradesh.
SP leader Ramgopal Yadav protested against her remarks, as BSP members trooped near the chairman`s podium, raising slogans demanding dismissal of the Uttar Pradesh government.
Chairman M. Hamid Ansari urged the BSP members to take up the matter during the discussion on the motion of thanks on the president`s address.
However, as BSP members continued to protest, Chairman M. Hamid Ansari adjourned the house for 10 minutes.
When the house reassembled, Mayawati along with BSP members staged a walkout.
Two teenage girls were allegedly raped and hanged on a tree in May 27 in Katra village of Badaun district, causing a national uproar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Soon, Skype will not run on these Windows, Android phones
- Munich shooter was German-Iranian, motive `unclear`; likely sole shooter
- 'EgyptAir Flight 804 broke up in midair after a fire'
- Warrants issued in Turkey for arrest of 300 Presidential Guards
- Democrat Hilary Clinton picks Kaine as vice presidential running mate