Badrish Dutt was part of IPL betting investigation
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Celebrated Delhi police inspector Badrish Dutt, who was found dead with his female friend in a Gurgaon flat, was part of the team that was investigating betting in the ongoing Indian Premier League, reports said on Thursday.
The revelation gains importance as it comes on a day when the Special Cell of the Delhi Police – the unit to which Badrish Dutt belonged – arrested Rajasthan Royals pace spearhead S Sreesanth and two other players - Ankeet Chavan and Ajit Chandila on charges of spot-fixing.
Dutt and his friend Geeta Sharma were found dead at her flat in Ardee City in Gurgaon on May 11. The two had been living together for the past one year. As per reports, the relationship between the inspector working with the anti-terror wing and Geeta Sharma, a private detective, was not "cordial" and was turning "sour" with the passage of time.
45-year-old Dutt had joined the Delhi Police in 1991 and was one of the few personnel inducted into the Special Cell in 1994 when the elite unit was formed. He was considered a "master investigator" by his superiors.
Gurgaon police has claimed that Dutt had shot his live-in partner and then killed himself using his service revolver.
Dr Deepak Mathur, who conducted the post-mortem, said both had died almost the same time during the intervening night of Friday-Saturday last week.
It appears that Dutt used his official weapon of 9 MM bore to fire two rounds, he said.
While one bullet had entered from Dutt`s right temple and had exited from the left side, another bullet had entered from the back of Sharma`s head, Mathur said, adding that both were killed instantly.
No other wounds were found on the bodies, he said.
It was "contact range" killing wherein the bullets had been fired by touching the skin of the two, Mathur added. In contact range killing, the victim does not survive even for a minute.
Badrish Dutt’s family has demanded a CBI probe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145