‘Bailed’ Malegaon blasts accused set to walk free
Mumbai: After spending near five years in jail, seven of the nine accused in the 2006 Malegaon blasts that killed 37 people are likely to be released from prison on Tuesday.
The development would come days after a Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) special court granted bail to all nine accused in the case, after the National Investigation Agency (NIA) decided not to oppose their pleas.
The accused were granted bail on the surety of Rs 50,000 each with a condition of not leaving the country without the permission of the court.
Two accused will however continue to remain in jail as they were also accused of being involved in the multiple train blasts that took place in Mumbai July 11, 2006.
“Mohammed Ali and Asif Khan, inspite of being granted bail in this case, will not be released as they are allegedly involved in the 7/11 case,” Public Prosecutor Rohini Salian said.
The NIA decided not to oppose the bail applications of the nine accused after deliberations and considering the facts and circumstances.
The nine accused pleaded that they were in jail for the past four years and that there was no direct evidence of their involvement in the blasts.
Jalil Ahmed, lawyer of the accused, said Swami Aseemanand, who had been arrested for his alleged role in the 2007 Mecca Masjid blasts in Hyderabad, confessed that the accused were not actually responsible for the Malegaon blasts.
The nine accused in the 2006 bomb blasts in Malegaon town of Maharashtra’s Nashik district filed bail applications in October.
Maharashtra anti-terrorism squad, which had probed the case before the NIA, arrested nine people – Shabir Ahmed, Salman Farsi, Rais Ahmed, Noorulhuda Doha, Asif Khan, Mohammed Ali, Farooque Ansari, Javed Sheikh and Abrar Ahmed – for their alleged involvement in the multiple blasts in the minority-dominated town.
The explosions near a mosque on September 8, 2006 killed 37 people and injured over 100. The accused applied for bail in March as well, but it was denied by court.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Rock stars and celebrities react with dismay to Brexit
- WATCH: How AAP MLA Dinesh Mohaniya was arrested by Delhi Police amidst high drama during press conference
- BJP president Amit Shah sounds poll bugle in Uttarakhand; slams Congress, Harish Rawat
- IIFA 2016: Why should Oscars become benchmark to celebrate Indian cinema, asks Anupam Kher
- US floods: 24 dead in West Virginia; search and rescue continues