Balakrishnan should resign immediately: Murli Manohar Joshi
Varanasi: Senior BJP leader Murli Manohar
Joshi on Thursday demanded immediate resignation of NHRC Chairman K
G Balakrishnan in view of allegations againt his kin of
amassing wealth disproportionate to their known sources of
"A close relative of Balakrishnan has been found
involved in alleged corrupt practices and doubts are also
being raised about former CJI`s role in it," Joshi told
reporters in Nadeshsar area of the city.
He said, "Today when the whole country is expecting
credibility and transparency in all constitutional bodies,
someone like Balakrishnan, who has held the post of Chief
Justice of India, should voluntarily resign as chairman of the
National Human Rights Commission in line with the healthy
Kerala government has begun the process of a vigilance
inquiry over allegations against Balakrishnan`s son-in-law P V
Sreenijan, a former state Youth Congress vice-president,
following a private complaint that he had amassed wealth
disproportionate to his known sources of income.
Balakrishnan`s younger brother K G Bhaskaran, a
government pleader, and second son-in-law M J Benni are also
under cloud amid media reports alleging that they had
illegally amassed assets. Bhaskaran had described the reports
Joshi, who is Chairman of Public Accounts Committee
that is looking into 2-G scam, said that corruption was
spreading in every part of society due to which development
schemes were suffering.
"It is perilous for our democracy," he said.
"As of now scams worth 80 lakh-crore have been
uncovered and along with this, if the money accumulated in
foreign banks is recovered and used in national interest, all
the foreign debts would be cleared and India would be wealthy
country," Joshi said, adding an action plan should be made to
Targeting Congress leaders Rahul Gandhi and Digvijay
Singh for their comments on `Hindu terror`, he said, "Congress
is giving Pakistan a reason to defame our country. This is
vote bank politics which could lead the country to another
partition and the Congress should desist from following such
He claimed "wrong policies" of the Centre were
responsible for the current price rise and warned that if
agriculture sector was not given proper attention, the result
would be disastrous.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS